11.2.09

What is the cost of living?

What exactly is the cost of living. I guess that depends on who you ask. The government figures it one way while news outlets, well I can't say where they get their data, but they say another thing. Here are some categories I've used:
  • rent/mortgage (got to live somewhere)
  • transportation (got to get around)
  • phone (one with basic service only-it's a must to get a job)
  • education (to keep a job or get a new one, can't do without)
  • food (if people eat more at home the cost is lower, but I figure 50/50-home/eat out)
  • clothing (or you get arrested and need it for the job)
  • toiletries (I think you know why on this one)
  • utilities (the basics, nothing fancy)
  • home furnishings (the basics-someplace to sit, tables, bookshelf, etc. - nothing fancy)
  • appliances (can't cook without a stove and can't keep food without a fridge)
  • electronics (only those needed, no extras or fun things-no game boy)
  • vacation (can't live without some R&R, it also makes people more productive and reduces stress -> less medical costs! - some employers are stupid when it comes to giving people time off, they just don't get it.)
  • medicine (all the things not covered or have to pay extra for)
  • retirement funding (since employers are pushing it onto employees to do their own doesn't mean they shouldn't cover it in increased pay!)
Did I miss anything?  You tell me.

I figure cost of living in two ways: 1) what it actually costs plus 15%, or 2) if minimum wage had kept up with the cost of living. Either way, both numbers are real close.  Ready?  It costs an individual $68,000 to $75,000 a year to pay for everything, and I am not talking extravagantly or in any way with a lot of extras, like cable TV or fancy clothes.

Now I want to hear from others. Give me your feedback, I want to know what you have to say.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I live in NY where the only way one can afford rents out here, one has to at least make more than 50,000 just to live in a one-bedroom apartment outside the city, and then have barely enough after for expenses. The problem now is that a lot of jobs in my field no longer want to pay what you are worth. Assistant designers, for example can make a slow as 30K. the only way one can survive on that wage in the city is to have a lot of roommates, which any professional would probably want to avoid.

    ReplyDelete